Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Offering

I'm talking to a friend - the news - movies. Another man walks up slowly, stops about 6 feet away, and settles his body to face mine. His hands and mouth are empty. Nothing to drink or smoke, and no words either. He's quiet, he tries his best to stand as still as possible. He catches my eye, once. And then fixes his gaze down at my boots. He doesn't kneel, doesn't get on his hands and knees. He doesn't talk. He waits. He's impatient, he's anxious, he's afraid of being ignored or insulted by me. He doesn't know what to do with his hands. He wonders if some friend of his, slumming it at the leather bar, will try to strike up a conversation and ruin the mood.

But tonight he's lucky. No blathering chums to distract him show up. And my friend who's talking to me, takes notice, and finishes his sentence and gives me a little smile. I ask my friend to excuse me, I shake his hand, and when he's walked away, I look at this man who's here waiting. I look at him closely, I assess what persona he's showing to me. He's wearing black cowboy boots, but not anything else that describes him as a leatherman. He looks to be in his early thirties. A time in his life when he probably could afford to dress like a leatherman if he wanted to. But perhaps he's traveling or came out after dinner, or perhaps he doesn't have a leather fetish.

That's not as important to me now, because he's offering something very valuable to me - respect. He's offering me patience. He's offering me his attention. I ask him his name. He answers, he keeps his eyes down. I tell him my name, I offer my gloved hand to shake, he grasps it firmly but less firmly than I grasp his. Now we talk a bit about trivial things, I take a pull on my beer, I enjoy my cigar. I watch him, I measure what he says and how he holds his body. I want him to be a man, I want him to look strong, I don't need him on his knees, - yet - but I want him to know and feel me as dominant. He doesn't cross his arms, he doesn't cross his legs. His head is slightly inclined downwards, his weight is balanced equally on both feet, he doesn't put his hands in his pockets. His body shows me that he's not hiding his vulnerablilites, his chest faces me, his crotch faces me, he doesn't armor his torso with his arms.

Trivial talk is over. Time to command. I tell him to place his arms behind his back, and hold onto his left wrist with his right hand. I tell him to stand with his feet as wide apart as his shoulders. This lowers him an inch, it gives him a posture that's defined, no more indecision about what to do with his hands. I step forward into his space, I put one of my thighs close enough to brush his crotch, I reach around and lightly place my right hand on the back of his neck, I lean over and let my beard brush his ear, and quietly tell him what he can expect if he agrees to accompany me home. I tell him that what I do to him won't hurt his health. I tell him that what I do to him won't make him feel like less of a man. I tell him that what we do is private between us and that it's his decision whether or not he's photographed or videotaped. I ask him if he needs someone to vouch for me, to tell him that I'm trustworthy.

Then we go.

2 comments:

barminatrix said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pud said...

You've got me there, I've never had anyone go ahead and ask for a vouchsafing, probably because I go out regularly, and until I'm actually on the hunt, I'm jawing with my buddies, and so I don't fit the archetype of the "movie loner sadist."

There is something to the thrill of danger, and not knowing for sure if someone is a sane player or not. I like to think that I have good instincts and that I ask the right questions beforehand. But over the years I've had some nasty surprises - like a sub that didn't tell me about his tendency to have a seizure when he got overly excited. Not fun.

That's a smart idea about the trick card and the safety call, but I'd hesitate to put my address on a trick card. I might not want the guy to remember where I live. A couple of times, I've even handcuffed and blindfolded men, and thrown them in the bed of my truck for the ride to my house. Good times.

I guess trust depends on if you can gauge the experience and comfort levels of the two (or more) players involved. An art and not a science. And the levels need not be commensurate. A very experienced and very sane Dom can give a raw sub a night he'll never forget.

I remember when I had my first bondage experience, I was 24, it was with a man 30 years my senior, it was in the middle of rural nowhere, no one knew I was there except for him. He was a hard as nails former military Old Guard Top from Hell. I wanted what he offered so bad, that I risked oblivion.

Later I knew how sane and safety conscious he was, and while I would never advise someone take the risk I did, that experience was everything I'd wanted. I guess adventure always has at least a bit of danger involved.